Shi Lin: The Secret is in the Sesame

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 § 0

For the past few weeks, people have been flocking to Ayala Triangle. Boyfriend and I wanted to eat at Wee Nam Kee but we were 37 on the wait list. Fortunately, Shi Lin recently opened a branch in The Fort, away from all the hustle and bustle of Makati. It was a blessing in disguise, because we ended up with some amazing Xiao Long Bao.



Xiao Long Bao (158-6 pcs/230-10 pcs) Xiao long bao or soup dumpling is filled with ground pork, and of course, soup. The wrapper used in Shi Lin is a little thick, but what lies beneath was quite heavenly. Both the broth and meat are perfectly seasoned. As one of my friends said, it's so good there's nothing else to do but smile after taking a bite. It's usually eaten with a mixture of soy sauce, vinegar and ginger, but I prefer to eat it as is. Our biggest mistake that night was ordering 6 pcs. Next time, we're definitely getting 10.


Shrimp and Pork Siomai (148-6 pcs) Shi Lin has the most beautiful siomai I have ever set my eyes on. They are made with such great finesse and by very delicate hands. Again, the wrapper was a little thick. This becomes an issue when the dimsum is left on the table for a while since it becomes a little tough. Inside lies a siomai different from what Boyfriend and I are used to. The meat was very fine, unlike the chunkier ones we get from most Chinese restaurants. Also, it has a little of the broth used in the xiao long bao, giving it a more refined taste.



Fried Rice with Shrimp, Pork and Egg (128) Man cannot live without rice, and my dear Boyfriend is a great example of that. This friend rice is actually a meal in itself. The serving is quite small but very generous when it comes to the toppings.




Noodles with Spicy Sesame and Peanut Sauce (138) My noodle dish was another sight to behold. The vibrant orange looked so inviting that I immediately mixed everything, excited to have my first taste. The peanut sauce was incredibly rich, it has a sweetness that is balanced out by the smoky flavor of the sesame. I have a higher tolerance for spicy food than Boyfriend so I enjoyed this more than he did.




Hot Almond Cream and Sesame Balls (105) For dessert, we wanted to try something new and opted for something hot. The sesame balls were piping hot! I learned this the hard way because as always, I was too excited to have a taste that I ended up burning my tongue. It was good though, really, really good. The sesame filling made me swoon with every bite.



Another good thing came out from what could've been a bad situation. I can't even imagine having to wait for those 36 tables to be seated before us. Shi Lin saved our date, and gave us such rave-worthy food that we will definitely come back for. Shi Lin has branches in Podium and The Fort.


What's this?

You are currently reading Shi Lin: The Secret is in the Sesame at Tables for Couples: A Never-ending Search for the Perfect Date Place.

meta

§ Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Food & Drink - Top Blogs Philippines