These are a few of my favorite things

Sunday, February 23, 2014 § 0

Wow. It's been 15 months since I last updated this blog. The Boyfriend has been constantly bugging me to start writing about food again, but I just haven't been feeling inspired lately. It's not that I haven't eaten food worth blogging. Heck, Boyfriend and I have been eating around the metro like crazy, hence my weight gain. I don't know. This isn't really a "feelings" blog so I don't wanna get into it. 

But here I am. Blogging. And I am struggling because I don't know where and how to start. I thought of writing about our latest fine dining date (which was last Valentine's Day), but then it hit me. Favorites. Places we keep going back to, and food that made a real impact on our taste buds. So here goes. (Pardon the pictures, they're all from Instagram.)


Ganso Shabuway 
(Greenbelt 5/Rockwell/Alabang Town Center/Shangri-la Mall)
I don't even know how to begin to describe my obsession with Ganso Shabuway. Boyfriend and I have always loved shabu shabu, but this totally changed the game for us. It's more expensive compared to other restaurants of its kind, but the quality of the meat and vegetables more than makes up for it. We usually order their set menu for 2, which costs around 985-1095, and includes everything in the picture. That's 250 g of perfectly marbled USDA Meyer Natural Angus Beef, enoki and shimeji mushrooms, napa cabbage, spinach, watercress, and other quality veggies. Also, THE DIPPING SAUCE!! We love the sesame dipping sauce with lots of garlic, with the spicy miso broth. Perfect date place. For me, at least. 


Poco Deli
(Kapitolyo, Pasig/Ayala Triangle)
Boyfriend and I are both huge meat eaters, and Poco Deli exceeded all our expectations when it comes to quality meat products. Their Bacon Slab (360) is my absolute favorite. Two thick slices of home-cured bacon, with bacon rice and eggs. Heaven, I tell you. Boyfriend loves their sausages, especially the Kielbasa (360). Poco Deli also has a wide variety of wines and imported beers, so if you're the kind of couple who likes to drink together, this is definitely the date place for you. 


Bawai's Vietnamese Kitchen
(White Plains, Katipunan/Tagaytay)
What used to be a hidden gem in Tagaytay is now in Manila. The great thing about Bawai's branch in White Plains is that it still has that relaxed Tagaytay vibe, but with a nice view of Marikina. Boyfriend is currently obsessed with Vietnamese food that he's been forcing me to eat onions and cilantro (which I hate) every chance he gets. But in Bawai's, he didn't have to force me. Their food is so well balanced, that every ingredient becomes a necessary part of the dining experience. The Com Suon Cha (420) is such a simple dish, but that pork belly packs a lot of flavor, and the meat was so tender that it almost melts in your mouth. The Bun Bo Hue (325) was equally good. The broth had a lot of complex flavors from boiling with pig's feet and herbs (I tasted cilantro, lemongrass, basil, chives, and onions, but there's definitely more) for hours. Oh, and their Vietnamese drip coffee with condensed milk only costs 90 bucks and it is terrific! Best Vietnamese restaurant in Manila! 


Cafe Shibuya
(UP Town Center)
Cafe Shibuya's toasts are so good that after the first time we ate there, we had to go back the day after to get more because we couldn't get it out of our heads. Their Original Shibuya Honey Toast (145 baby/175 regular) is quite simple - a slice (more like loaf, actually) of toast, butter, vanilla ice cream and honey. Boyfriend and I were still hesitant at first because it didn't sound too special, but once we had our first bite, everything else was irrelevant. The toasts were like heavenly pillows that absorbed a generous amount of butter, and I seriously still get giddy just thinking about it. It's that good. GET ON IT! 

That's it for now. 4 of our favorite restaurants. All great venues for a date. Ganso Shabuway and Cafe Shibuya are very casual date places, with a lot of dining families so it's not that romantic, but I can guarantee that the food will be amazing. Poco Deli in Kapitolyo can be a nice, quaint date place, great for sharing a bottle of wine with your loved one. Their branch in Ayala Triangle is a little bigger and more casual. Bawai's is a perfect date place, but make sure you reserve a table in advance. Get the tables near the glass wall if you can, since it has a nice view, especially at night. And if any of you are wondering, the 1st picture with me and the Boyfriend is in Urbn, and surprisingly, their food is great! It's not only a great place to party, they have amazing duck and risotto as well. And their chocolate lava cake is to die for. 

What's this?

You are currently reading These are a few of my favorite things at Tables for Couples: A Never-ending Search for the Perfect Date Place.

meta

§ Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Food & Drink - Top Blogs Philippines